Sometimes odours are so strong that they feel like they take on a life of their own. Removing odours from clothes can be a challenge. Although the stains themselves are invisible, their smell becomes something that’s almost physical. Odours can come between you and the rest of the world – and make your garments feel unclean.
Smells come in all varieties, ranging from stinky or funky to sour mildew ones, and they're all due to different causes. These odours can be triggered by sweat, heat or closed spaces. In the battle with clothing odour removal, only a full regimen can help you beat the stench.
What Causes Odours & Why Is It So Difficult to Remove Odours from Clothes?
Odours arise for different reasons. When your garments suffer from those stinky, sour, funky or mildew smells, these are often triggered by water, specifically sweat. Closed spaces also contribute to that musty smell.
• Fabric type also plays a central role in the battle to remove odours from clothes. It's perhaps most difficult to remove odours from synthetic materials, and the bad news is now 60% of clothing is made up of synthetic fibers or blends containing them.
• Although washing at cooler cycles is environmentally savvy, it doesn't make odour removal from clothing any easier. This is because soiling and residues tend to harden in the cold water.
• Larger machines also contribute to unwanted odours. Modern machines have a load capacity that is 40% larger than older machines, which means larger and more infrequent laundry loads. So, more dirty clothes sit around in your laundry basket for a longer time waiting to be washed, allowing odours to set into the fabrics more easily. Not to mention, using cheap detergent can also make odour problems worse.
When it comes to odour issues, musty towels, dog bedding, socks and kids' sports gear are usually where odour problems start. But don’t worry about how to remove odours from clothing! We'll show you how to do it with just a few simple steps!
Step by Step Odour Removal from Clothing
Odours can leave an unpleasant feel on your clothes, even after you wash them. The good news is with a few simple steps, odour removal from clothing has never been easier!
- Place and add a 4-in-1 pac of Tide PODS® Plus Febreze Odor Defense™into your washer. Use two pacs if you have a large load and three if you’re dealing with an extra-large load.
- Achieve the best results with Tide Odour Rescue with Febreze Odor Defense™ as an in-wash booster. Simply add it to your wash along with Tide PODS Plus Febreze Odour Defense laundry detergent in either standard or high-efficiency washers.
- Use Downy Fresh Protect with Febreze Odor Defense™ for freshness. Simply fill to the middle line of the cap for everyday odour protection, or to the top for maximum odour protection. Place and add Downy Fresh Protect into the drum at the beginning of the wash, but do not put in the liquid dispenser or dryer.
Because odours can arise from different sources, from sweaty gym clothes to musty towels, find out how to remove sweat smells
and musty smells
from clothes with some help from Tide. And if you’re looking to shift unsightly sweat stains
and patches, then Tide can also assist you with some post workout stain removal!